Why Imagery?

After teaching for the church for 36 years, I have learned that the Lord loves to use imagery. In Hosea 12:10 he states that he uses similitude's by the ministry of the prophets. I believe that when there is a event about a prophet recorded in scriptures, we can then look to see that the story may be talking about the life and mission of the Lord Jesus Christ. Isaiah 8:18 talks about how he and his family are for signs and wonders. Moses 6:63 states that all things bear witness of Him, and I hope to show some of these examples. This blog is designed to share some of my discoveries and those of many of my students who helped me learn so much in seeing Christ throughout all scripture. I was blessed to have these students from Northern Arizona, Texas and the Seattle area. I also thank all the CES teachers who have shared their thoughts and ideas. I will also include some posts giving helps to understand the book of Revelation and a few other books and chapters. Also included is an imagery sheet of notes taken at an in service meeting given by Gerald Lund back in the 80's that helped get me started with symbolism or imagery. I believe that the Lord uses both sides of your brain to teach about him. The logical side will just tell you the doctrine put straight forward and the creative side of your brain to see the imagery and symbolism, giving you two witnesses in your own body. These thoughts do not reflect any official position of any church but may be of help to some who want to learn more about their Savior.
I will try and not post more than one a week, so I don't overwhelm you.
Suggested reading order: 1. Scriptural Symbols 2. Imagery that got me started
Other blogs available. - Christ as the husband of Church part 1 of 2. It shows how family is central to God's plan,-Our marriage imagery part 2 of 2 -Jonah as a similitude of Christ - Jaredite Barge story - Nephi Building a boat - Joseph in Egypt or Temple experiences - Ammon in B of M Cutting Off Arms - The war chapters in the Book of Alma - Book of Revelation Helps-Understanding Adam and Eve-The Good Samaritan a plan of happiness story-The earth teaches the Plan of Happiness- Moses as a type of the Savior-The following posts are the chapters of Isaiah as found in the Book of Mormon.
The next series of posts will be the chapters of the book of Revelation,-A little paper on some Christmas imagery-


Friday, October 4, 2019

Isaiah in the Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 7 Isaiah 50


Isaiah 50 or 2 Nephi 7

Chapter 7

Jacob continues reading from Isaiah: Isaiah speaks messianically—The Messiah will have the tongue of the learned—He will give His back to the smiters—He will not be confounded—Compare Isaiah 50. About 559–545 B.C.
Verses 1-3 a call to Israel to return to the Lord and trust in His strength
1 aYea, for thus saith the Lord: Have I put thee away, or have I cast thee off forever? For thus saith the Lord: Where is the bbill of your mother’s cdivorcement? To whom have I put thee away, or to which of my dcreditors have I esold you? Yea, to whom have I sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away. In Deut. 24:1-4 the law states that a man give his wicked wife a formal bill of divorcement.  The Lord has not given Israel a divorce, He has not sold her to someone to pay his debts, for he has never been in debt.  Who have I given you to?  You just left me and although we are separated we are not divorced.
2 Wherefore, when I came, there was no man; when I acalled, yea, there was none to answer. O house of Israel, is my hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem, or have I no power to deliver? Behold, at my rebuke I bdry up the csea, I make their drivers a wilderness and their efish to stink because the waters are dried up, and they die because of thirst. Verses 2-3 indicate that at any time, the Lord could have returned and redeemed Israel if she had just called for his help.  In our modern scriptures he says the same thing in D&C 133:66-69  He wants her to know that he has the power to help and to redeem her if she has put herself in bondage.  He had in Moses’s day dried up the sea and made the fish stink (Ex.7:21, 14:26-31)
3 I clothe the heavens with ablackness, and I make bsackcloth their covering. This seems to refer to the time where darkness covered Egypt also in Moses day, (Ex. 10:21) Also at the second coming the heavens will be darkened and the wicked will mourn in sackcloth, so the Lord describes how he will be merciful to those who will follow him, but the consequences of rejecting the Lord. Sackcloth is usually made of Goats hair and is worn as a sign of humility or repentance.  I think that it may reference the spiritual darkness when the heavens are dark or not communicating with man, because the people have rejected the Lord, and are not requesting his help or redemptive power..
Verses 4-9 the third servant song
These verses most likely relate to Jesus Christ and describes what he goes through, but many parts can be seen in the lives of the prophets of the Lord who have been rejected by the people.
4 The Lord God hath given me the atongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season unto thee, O house of Israel. When ye are weary he waketh morning by morning. He waketh mine ear to hear as the learned. Verses 4-5 outline the ministry of the servant, which is to hear and speak the word of God, he is not rebellious, nor does he turn from his labors.
5 The Lord God hath opened mine aear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back.
6 I gave my back to the asmiter, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair. I hid not my face from bshame and spitting. This verse is very Messianic, He was publically beaten, and had his beard plucked out which was a great sign of disgrace or dishonor, for they looked at the beard as a sign of freedom and respect.  This may give the turning of the other cheek a little more meaning. (Matt 5:39) He was also mocked and spit upon by the Roman soldiers, along with others
7 For the Lord God will help me, therefore shall I not be confounded. Therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be aashamed. Just as the Father upheld Christ so will he do the same for each of us.  We can endure all asked of us, for it will work for our good.
8 And the Lord is near, and he ajustifieth me. Who will contend with me? Let us stand together. Who is mine adversary? Let him come near me, and I will bsmite him with the strength of my mouth. In all that the innocent suffer they should not be ashamed, for the wicked are only condemning themselves before the Lord, and will suffer themselves for their works.
9 For the Lord God will help me. And all they who shall acondemn me, behold, all they shall bwax old as a garment, and the moth shall eat them up. Don’t worry about what the wicked do for they will wax old and perish as a garment and rot away, you will be out of their reach forever.
Verses 10-11 An injunction to follow the servant, encouragement to the faithful and of warning to the unfaithful.
10 Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the avoice of his servant, that bwalketh in darkness and hath no light? We should be like the one who believes the Lord and follows the counsel of his servant, even when we don’t understand or see what the Lord is doing.
11 Behold all ye that kindle fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks, walk in the light of ayour fire and in the sparks which ye have kindled. bThis shall ye have of mine hand—ye shall lie down in sorrow. This refers to the wicked who try to walk in the light of their own fire, and reject the Lord, and his word and try to become a law unto themselves. D&C 1:16 says this about this group of people. “They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world.” There is no righteous reward for those who refuse to follow the Lord.  They shall suffer a miserable fate, even eternal sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment