Why Imagery?

After teaching for the church for 36 years, I have learned that the Lord loves to use imagery. In Hosea 12:10 he states that he uses similitude's by the ministry of the prophets. I believe that when there is a event about a prophet recorded in scriptures, we can then look to see that the story may be talking about the life and mission of the Lord Jesus Christ. Isaiah 8:18 talks about how he and his family are for signs and wonders. Moses 6:63 states that all things bear witness of Him, and I hope to show some of these examples. This blog is designed to share some of my discoveries and those of many of my students who helped me learn so much in seeing Christ throughout all scripture. I was blessed to have these students from Northern Arizona, Texas and the Seattle area. I also thank all the CES teachers who have shared their thoughts and ideas. I will also include some posts giving helps to understand the book of Revelation and a few other books and chapters. Also included is an imagery sheet of notes taken at an in service meeting given by Gerald Lund back in the 80's that helped get me started with symbolism or imagery. I believe that the Lord uses both sides of your brain to teach about him. The logical side will just tell you the doctrine put straight forward and the creative side of your brain to see the imagery and symbolism, giving you two witnesses in your own body. These thoughts do not reflect any official position of any church but may be of help to some who want to learn more about their Savior.
I will try and not post more than one a week, so I don't overwhelm you.
Suggested reading order: 1. Scriptural Symbols 2. Imagery that got me started
Other blogs available. - Christ as the husband of Church part 1 of 2. It shows how family is central to God's plan,-Our marriage imagery part 2 of 2 -Jonah as a similitude of Christ - Jaredite Barge story - Nephi Building a boat - Joseph in Egypt or Temple experiences - Ammon in B of M Cutting Off Arms - The war chapters in the Book of Alma - Book of Revelation Helps-Understanding Adam and Eve-The Good Samaritan a plan of happiness story-The earth teaches the Plan of Happiness- Moses as a type of the Savior-The following posts are the chapters of Isaiah as found in the Book of Mormon.
The next series of posts will be the chapters of the book of Revelation,-A little paper on some Christmas imagery-


Friday, October 4, 2019

Isaiah in the Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 21 Isaiah 49


Isaiah 49 or 1 Nephi 21
By Jeffrey Bushman Aug. 2017
Chapter 21
The Messiah will be a light to the Gentiles and will free the prisoners—Israel will be gathered with power in the last days—Kings will be their nursing fathers—Compare Isaiah 49. About 588–570 B.C.
This chapter will relate, according to Pres. Wilford Woodruff, to the predictions,  visions and revelations about the last dispensation and what is going to come to pass, he also is addressing scattered Israel who will be gathered at the last days.
This chapter seems to be patterned after a court case, with 4 steps!
1. The Summons vs 1-6
Also these 6 verses comprise one of the four recognized servant song of Isaiah, the other three are in chapters 42:1-4; 50:4-9; and 52:13-53:12 see pp 358-60
See note after v 6
1 aAnd again: Hearken, O ye house of Israel, all ye that are broken off and are driven out because of the wickedness of the pastors of my people; yea, all ye that are broken off, that are scattered abroad, who are of my people, O house of Israel. Listen, O bisles, unto me, and hearken ye people from cfar; the Lord hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.  Jeremiah 1:5 Prophets foreordained to do their calling!  Here the Lord is talking to the remnants of Israel who have been scattered because of their sins.  It also seems to reference Isaiah as a servant in his role with Israel.  Many believe that these verses could refer to Christ and some even see Joseph Smith or Isaiah mentioned in here, also others see that this is Israel as a people, who were foreordained to be his lineage for priesthood blessings.
2 And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;    Servants comes from a chosen lineage that has been hid from the world.  Joseph Smith said this verse refers to himself. (HC 5:401) See D&C 86:9   Christ or Jehovah was hidden from men generally, as most did not see him as their Savior or Messiah.
3 And said unto me: Thou art my aservant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified. Israel  is also his servant
4 Then I said, I have labored in avain, I have spent my strength for naught and in vain; surely my judgment is with the Lord, and my work with my God. May sometimes feel like he has labored in vain. From Jesus being rejected by his own people (John 1:11), to Joseph Smith in Carthage to Isaiah having no one who would listen, to Israel who felt they weren’t being heard.
5 And now, saith the Lord—that aformed me from the womb that I should be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him—though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the Lord, and my God shall be my bstrength. . He will assist in the gathering of Israel, each group fits this verse also.
6 And he said: It is a light thing that thou shouldst be my servant to raise up the atribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel. I will also give thee for a blight to the cGentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the ends of the earth.  The four groups mentioned after verse 1 may all play a role in the gathering of Israel and an invitation for the gentiles to come to the Lord, The tribe of Ephraim given the charge to gather scattered Israel in the last great gathering, may actually be the main focus of the servant song of these 1st 6 verses.
The Plaintiff’s Charge vs 7-13 
The Lord accusations to Israel,  he is reminding her of the actions that fulfilled his obligations in their contract or covenant.
7 Thus saith the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel, his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nations abhorreth, to servant of rulers: Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the Lord that is faithful. The time will come when those despised and abhorred, servant or slaves of rulers, will finally have their heavenly king and the mighty of the earth  be humbled and worship the Holy One of Israel who chose Israel.  They will then not be despised. These verses may still focus on Ephriam in the last days
8 Thus saith the Lord: In an acceptable time have I heard thee, O isles of the sea, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee; and I will preserve thee, and give thee amy servant for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;  Referring to covenant Israel including the Kingdom of Judah, who will come back to the Lord in the Last days.
9 That thou mayest say to the aprisoners: Go forth; to them that sit in bdarkness: Show yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their cpastures shall be in all high places.  Will teach them how to get out of bondage to sin so they can enjoy the blessing the Lord has for those who love him.  Also may refer to those in Spirit Prison, promising freedom to those who repent, and freedom through the resurrection.
10 They shall not hunger nor thirst, neither shall the heat nor the sun smite them; for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them. Living water, and blessed by the presence of the Son.
11 And I will make all my mountains a way, and my ahighways shall be exalted. This may be referencing temples or mountains and those who follow these high ways will be exalted.
12 And then, O house of Israel, behold, athese shall come from far; and lo, these from the north and from the west; and these from the land of Sinim.  A large group of people will be gathered.  Sinim is unknown but some scholars believe it may refer to China, but if not it will be a large group of people who will come.  Whether Sinim is near or far from Jerusalem, the fact the Israelties gather from there seems to be an unexpected miracle.
13 aSing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; for the feet of those who are in the east shall be established; and bbreak forth into singing, O mountains; for they shall be smitten no more; for the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his cafflicted.  Blessings of the gathering.
The Defendant’s Plea  vs 14, 21, 24
Zion will give three complaints after the Lord has talked about their breaking their covenants and being scattered.
14 But, behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me—but he will show that he hath not. . Zion’s complaint, you have forgotten me. 1st complaint, or plea!
The Judge’s Indictment vs. 15-20, 22-23, 25-26
15 For can a awoman forget her sucking child, that she should not have bcompassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may cforget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.  Response of the Lord to this complaint! A mother may forget here child, but I will not.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the apalms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me. The wounds in his hands and feet, and the walls referencing the successful work of the Lord that he has done for his people.  A workman’s hands demonstrate their occupation.
The future restoration of Israel
17 Thy children shall make haste against thy destroyers; and they that made thee awaste shall go forth of thee.  Swiftly your children shall come against those who took from you, and those who ruined you shall leave you. NJV 17 Swiftly your children are coming against those who ravaged yea, and those who have ruined you shall leave you.
18 Lift up thine eyes round about and behold; all these agather themselves together, and they shall come to thee. And as I live, saith the Lord, thou shalt surely clothe thee with them all, as with an ornament, and bind them on even as a bride.  .  Sounds like covenant Israel or his church shall gather the righteous to her and prepare herself and them for the coming of the bride groom. (the Lord)
19 For thy waste and thy desolate places, and the land of thy destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants; and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away.  The number of righteous will be so great they will hardly have room to live there.
20 The children whom thou shalt have, after thou hast lost the first, shall aagain in thine ears say: The place is too strait (or tight, or narrow) for me; give place to me that I may dwell. .  It will be a great multitude after the gathering who will replace those who were lost in the scattering.
Second complaint Verse 21
21 Then shalt thou say in thine heart: Who hath begotten me these, seeing I have lost my children, and am adesolate, a captive, and removing to and fro? And who hath brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; these, where have they been?  When the gathering starts she complains that she is childless.
2nd Indictment from the Lord V22-23
22 Thus saith the Lord God: Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the aGentiles, and set up my bstandard to the people; and they shall bring thy sons in their carms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders. The Lord promises that as the gospel is preached to the gentiles that Israel’s children will be gathered out from them and helped by gentile nations.  Shes grows so fast she is shocked with the growth.  She 1830 with just 7,000 Jews lived in Israel to over 3 Million in 1982.
23 And akings shall be thy bnursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers; they shall bow down to thee with their face towards the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the Lord; for they shall not be ashamed that cwait for me.  Many nations have helped the Jews return to the land of Israel after WWI, Britian helped establish the country of Israel in 1947 along with U.S. and Russia, Holland and Denmark help protect Jews during the holocaust. The United States and France help with military equipment so Israel could defend herself.  German reparation payments and large contribution from the United States and other countries have helped Israel financially.  Zion  also being established in America and the gathering of the 10 tribes.
3rd complaint. Israel is robbed,
 or a question, how can all this happen by our former adversaries?
24 For shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the alawful captives delivered?  Also quoted by Jacob: in  2 Nephi 6:16  NJV 24 Can spoil be taken from a warrior or captives retrieved from a victor?
3rd Indictment from the Lord v 25-26
25 But thus saith the Lord, even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered; (2 Nephi 6:17 for the Mighty God shall deliver his covenant people: For thus saith the Lord:  Jacob them drops the end of the verse “and I will save thy children” )for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.  .  The Lord has power to save his people   NJV (New Jewish Version)  25 Yet thus said the Lord: Captives shall be taken from a warrior, and spoil shall be retrieved from a tyrant:  For I will contend with your adversaries, (And I will deliver your children.)  The words of Jacob change ‘my Covenant people’ for ‘thy children’!  God’s children are those who are his covenant people through baptism, where they are born again.
26 And I will afeed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; they shall be drunken with their own blood as with sweet wine; and all flesh shall bknow that I, the Lord, am thy cSavior and thy Redeemer, the dMighty One of Jacob.  Also in 2 Nephi 6:18    NJV   I will make your oppressors eat their own flesh, They shall be drunk with their own blood as with wine.  And all mankind shall know That I the Lord am your Savior, The Mighty One of Jacob, your Redeemer.
Nephi in 1 Nephi 22 verses 3,6,11- 12 summarizes what the Lord is saying about this chapter
1 Nephi 22:3 Wherefore, the things of which I have read are things pertaining to things both temporal and spiritual: for it appears that the house of Israel, sooner or later, will be scattered upon all the face of the earth, and also among all nations.
6 Nevertheless, after they shall be nursed by the gentiles, and the Lord has lifted up his hand upon the Gentiles and set them up for a standard, and their children have been carried in their arms, and their daughters have been carried upon their shoulders, behold these things of which are spoken are temporal: for thus are the covenants of the Lord with our fathers: and it meaneth us in the days to come, and also all our brethren who are of the house of Israel.
11 Wherefore the Lord will proceed to make bare his arm in the eyes of all the nations, in bringing about his covenants and his gospel unto those who are of the house of Israel.
12 Wherefore, he will bring them again out of captivity, and they shall be gathered together to the lands of their inheritance; and they shall be brought out of obscurity and out of darkness; and they shall know that the Lord is their Savior and their Redeemer, the Mighty One of Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment