Why Imagery?

After teaching for the church for 36 years, I have learned that the Lord loves to use imagery. In Hosea 12:10 he states that he uses similitude's by the ministry of the prophets. I believe that when there is a event about a prophet recorded in scriptures, we can then look to see that the story may be talking about the life and mission of the Lord Jesus Christ. Isaiah 8:18 talks about how he and his family are for signs and wonders. Moses 6:63 states that all things bear witness of Him, and I hope to show some of these examples. This blog is designed to share some of my discoveries and those of many of my students who helped me learn so much in seeing Christ throughout all scripture. I was blessed to have these students from Northern Arizona, Texas and the Seattle area. I also thank all the CES teachers who have shared their thoughts and ideas. I will also include some posts giving helps to understand the book of Revelation and a few other books and chapters. Also included is an imagery sheet of notes taken at an in service meeting given by Gerald Lund back in the 80's that helped get me started with symbolism or imagery. I believe that the Lord uses both sides of your brain to teach about him. The logical side will just tell you the doctrine put straight forward and the creative side of your brain to see the imagery and symbolism, giving you two witnesses in your own body. These thoughts do not reflect any official position of any church but may be of help to some who want to learn more about their Savior.
I will try and not post more than one a week, so I don't overwhelm you.
Suggested reading order: 1. Scriptural Symbols 2. Imagery that got me started
Other blogs available. - Christ as the husband of Church part 1 of 2. It shows how family is central to God's plan,-Our marriage imagery part 2 of 2 -Jonah as a similitude of Christ - Jaredite Barge story - Nephi Building a boat - Joseph in Egypt or Temple experiences - Ammon in B of M Cutting Off Arms - The war chapters in the Book of Alma - Book of Revelation Helps-Understanding Adam and Eve-The Good Samaritan a plan of happiness story-The earth teaches the Plan of Happiness- Moses as a type of the Savior-The following posts are the chapters of Isaiah as found in the Book of Mormon.
The next series of posts will be the chapters of the book of Revelation,-A little paper on some Christmas imagery-


Friday, October 4, 2019

Isaiah in the Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 20 or Isaiah 48


Isaiah 48 or 1 Nephi 20
By Jeffrey Bushman Aug. 2017
Chapter 20
I have again used Ludow’s commentary!
The following verse is Nephi’s introduction to these two Isaiah chapters
 1 Nephi 19:24 Wherefore I spake unto them, saying: Hear ye the words of the prophet, ye who are a remnant of the house of Israel, a branch who have been broken off; hear ye the words of the prophet, which were written unto all the house of Israel, and liken them unto yourselves, that ye may have hope as well as your brethren from whom ye have been broken off; for after this manner has the prophet written. Nephi has told them to listen and later in verse 1 of 48 Isaiah tells Israel to listen to the Lord.
The Lord reveals His purposes to Israel—Israel has been chosen in the furnace of affliction and is to go forth from Babylon—Compare Isaiah 48. About 588–570 B.C.
Verses 1-2 are Isaiah’s prologue
1 aHearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of bbaptism, who cswear by the name of the Lord, and make mention of the God of Israel, yet they swear dnot in truth nor in righteousness.  This means that the house of Jacob or actual descendants of Jacob, the first birth, and then those who are Israel through covenant, the second birth or baptism, are the Lords people, hence the terms baptism.  These people claim they’re God’s covenant people but they don’t keep their covenants.  Joseph Smith seems to have inserted the words “out of the waters of baptism” in the 1840 edition, since he was the translater, according to Hugh Nibley
2 Nevertheless, they call themselves of the aholy city, but they do bnot stay (IE pretend to rely upon) themselves upon the God of Israel, who is the Lord of Hosts; yea, the Lord of Hosts is his name.  They are members in name only, not following the Lord’s instructions. Seems to be the time of early Judah, or Jerusalem, but can relate to many members of the church today.
Verses 3 -8a Is a historical prologue
3 Behold, I have declared the aformer things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth, and I showed them. I did show them suddenly. Anciently I declared the future,  I did it quickly and it came to pass, so that you know I knew before they happened.
4 And I did it because I knew that thou (Israel) art obstinate, and thy aneck is an iron sinew, and thy brow brass;   I did it because of your wickedness, because your neck won’t bend showing your pride in refusing to submit to my counsel, and your head is so thick you don’t understand what I am trying to do.
5 And I have even from the beginning declared to thee; before it came to pass I ashowed them thee; and I showed them for fear lest thou shouldst say—Mine idol hath done them, and my graven image, and my molten image hath commanded them. . I revealed many things beforehand so you couldn’t claim it came to pass by your false gods.
6 Thou hast seen and heard all this; and will ye anot declare them? And that I have showed thee new things from this time, even hidden things, and thou didst not know them. You have seen and heard all this, yet would you admit it?  I will now show you new things that you have never heard before.  Hidden things or “well guarded secrets”, which you have not before known.
7 They are created now, and not from the beginning, even before the day when thou heardest them not they were declared unto thee, lest thou shouldst say—Behold I knew them. I am now telling you new things, so you won’t say I already knew them because I am just now revealing them, that had not be recorded earlier!
8 Yea, and thou heardest not; yea, thou knewest not; yea, from that time thine ear was not opened; for I knew that thou wouldst deal very treacherously, and wast called a atransgressor from the womb. . New Jewish Version: You had never heard, you had never known, your ears were not opened of old. Isaiah might have been delivering new prophecies that were available but the Israelites did not understand, or had ears that cannot hear or eyes that see but cannot see what the Lord is doing.
Verses 8b-13a Stipulations of the Covenant  8b “starts for I knew”
9 Nevertheless, for my aname’s sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain from thee, that I cut thee not off. You won’t be totally destroyed, because of covenants made to earlier Israelites who were righteous, that Israel would not be totally destroyed, but the Lord would seek after them in the future ages.  That is why I am being patient with you now.
10 For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of aaffliction. .  You will become a good people but only as you are refined through suffering and afflictions.  The BofM verse has removed the phrase “but not as silver after I have refined you.” It now is easier to understand.
11 For mine own sake, yea, for mine own sake will I do this, for I will not suffer my aname to be polluted, and I will bnot give my glory unto another.  .  I will yet call Israel my covenant people, meaning the covenant line that my gospel will always come through.  I will choose no other group. Israel will always be where my authority is housed if I have given it to the inhabitants of the earth. Not suffer my name to be polluted.  We take his name upon us when baptized we need to keep our commandments.
12 Hearken unto me, O Jacob, and Israel my called, for I am he; I am the afirst, and I am also the last.  Jacob by birth and Israel by covenant, Listen to me, I am Jesus Christ,  I am the beginning and the end.
13 Mine hand hath also alaid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens. I bcall unto them and they stand up together.  He created the earth by his hand, but the heavens by his right hand or the hand of power and authority, showing it is a symbol of righteousness and a covenant hand. It is still used today to show a covenant relationship from heaven or from the Lord.
Verses 13b-15 Perpetuation of the Covenant starts “I call unto them”
14 All ye, assemble yourselves, and hear; who among them hath declared these things unto them? The Lord hath loved him; yea, and he will afulfil his word which he hath declared by them; and he will do his pleasure (IE Cyrus will do his desire, or wish see Is 44:28-45:1) on bBabylon, and his arm shall come upon the Chaldeans.  The Lord loves his servants and will fulfill all that they have prophesied in his name, for he has power over the world, they cannot stop his work.  The he in this and the next verse may be Jesus who is Heavenly Fathers servant.
15 Also, saith the Lord; I the Lord, yea, I have spoken; yea, I have called ahim to declare, I have brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous.  Here the Lord may be the servant as he is doing the will of Heavenly Father, and not his own will.  All that he testifies will come to pass or prosperous.  The Lord is still speaking today, or declaring.
Verse 16 Witness of the Covanant
16 Come ye near unto me; I have not spoken in asecret; from the beginning, from the time that it was declared have I spoken; and the Lord God, and his bSpirit, hath sent me.  Christ testifying of his relationship with the Father.  He has been with the Father doing his work from the beginning, and is still involved.  The last part may be Isaiah adding his testimony to that of the Savior’s.
Verses 17-22 Blessings and Curses
17 And thus saith the Lord, thy aRedeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I have sent him, the Lord thy God who teacheth thee to profit, who bleadeth thee by the way thou shouldst go, hath done it.  .  Jesus may still be talking in third person about himself.  The Lord has given the gospel to his covenant people to bless them.
The following verses seem to be the blessing they could enjoy through righteous living or they will receive the punishment for broken laws instead of blessings (D&C 130:18-19)
18 O that thou hadst hearkened to my acommandments—then had thy bpeace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea. .  If you were good you would enjoy peace and power. I can’t force my blessing upon you.  You have to choose by your actions.
19 Thy aseed also had been as the sand; the offspring of thy bowels like the gravel thereof; his name should not have been cut off nor destroyed from before me.  You would have enjoyed eternal families in the presence of the Lord, and not have the names of wicked members cut off before the face of the Lord.
20 aGo ye forth of Babylon, flee ye from the bChaldeans, with a voice of singing declare ye, tell this, utter to the end of the earth; say ye: The Lord hath redeemed his cservant Jacob.  Leave the world behind, but share the joy the Lord has given you of Israel, to those who live around you.  Every member a missionary.
21 And they athirsted not; he led them through the deserts; he caused the waters to flow out of the brock for them; he clave the rock also and the waters gushed out.  The Lord has provided all the needs of the righteous, including living water.
22 And notwithstanding he hath done all this, and greater also, there is no apeace, saith the Lord, unto the wicked.  .  It is sad that the wicked refuse these blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment